MDC ~ DDC April 2008
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Infant Reflux

2 posters

Go down

Infant Reflux Empty Infant Reflux

Post  Limette Mon May 26, 2008 9:35 am

So after 7 weeks of a very unhappy baby I finally got to see a pediatrician at the hospital about Izzy. She definitely has reflux which the doc said they wouldn't bother treating except that she is obviously in pain. He asked us if she was generally a happy baby and dh and I both answered No!!!.

He prescribed Zantac and Domperidone. The Domperidone is a motility drug and after doing some research on it I stopped giving it to her after one day. It's used in breastmilk production in the U.S and is not approved for use in reflux there. Here in Canada it is used in infant reflux but not approved for stimulation breastmilk! There is little evidence that it actually works for reflux and there are some potential (yet unconfirmed) side effects that I'm just not comfortable with so I won't be using it.

It's only been 2.5 days on the Zantac and if there is no great change by our next appointment (2 weeks) then I think we'll just have to wait it out.

I just wish the projectile vomiting would stop. Scooping vomit out of my bra is getting a little annoying!

Anybody else dealing with reflux?

Limette

Back to top Go down

Infant Reflux Empty Re: Infant Reflux

Post  mama_ani Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:05 am

I suspect Eleanor has reflux but we don't have a doctor so I'm not sure what to do at all.

mama_ani

Back to top Go down

Post  Limette Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:12 am

we don't have a doctor either, we had to go to a ped through the hospital. izzy is still on zantac and she seems a little better, it's hard to tell.

my friend's daughter also has reflux but couldn't tolerate the meds so they are just riding it out, making sure she is up right most of the time.

Limette

Back to top Go down

Post  mama_ani Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:27 am

Limette wrote:we don't have a doctor either, we had to go to a ped through the hospital. izzy is still on zantac and she seems a little better, it's hard to tell.

my friend's daughter also has reflux but couldn't tolerate the meds so they are just riding it out, making sure she is up right most of the time.

Ironically a friend of dh's is a paediatrician but we can't see him without a referral tongue

We're trying to keep Ella upright most of the time too, it seems to help a little.

mama_ani

Back to top Go down

Post  Limette Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:04 pm

are you in the u.s or canada? here in canada all you have to do is go to a walk in clinic with your concerns and they'll write you a referral to a ped.

Limette

Back to top Go down

Post  mama_ani Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:05 pm

Limette wrote:are you in the u.s or canada? here in canada all you have to do is go to a walk in clinic with your concerns and they'll write you a referral to a ped.

I'm in Canada. I've thought about doing the walk-in clinic thing to get a referral, but our town only has one, the average wait is 6-8 hours and there's never a time I can go sit there that long. So far keeping her upright and such is helping enough she isn't too miserable. If that stops helping I'll have to find someone to watch the other kids and spend a day at the clinic.

mama_ani

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum